Who is AT(SA)?
Accounting Technicians South Africa is a division of the South African Institute of Chartered Accountants (SAICA) dedicated to the education, development, regulation and support of accounting technicians in South Africa. With SAICA, AT(SA) represents confident, skilled accounting technicians who are committed and empowered to deliver and uphold the high professional standards and ethics that the profession demands.
AT(SA) is a practical, work-ready foundational designation and they offer membership service and an accessible framework for lifelong learning and professional development. This further increases the opportunity for South Africans to develop the skills that the economy needs. Members are bound by a code of professional ethics and are required to keep their skills and competence up to date though AT(SA) and SAICA’s continuing professional development system. The AT(SA) badge of competence also reflects a commitment to maintaining and developing skills and knowledge.
To find out more about AT(SA), visit www.accountingtechniciansouthafrica.co.za
What AT(SA) accounting qualifications does Credo Business College offer?
At Credo, a learner can study the following AT(SA) Qualifications, all of which are credit-bearing qualifications registered on the National Qualifications Framework (NQF).
- Certificate: Accounting Technician – SAQA ID 73710
- FET Certificate: Accounting Technician – SAQA ID 77143
- Certificate: Accounting – SAQA ID 80189
- Certificate Accounting Technician: Public Sector – SAQA ID 73710
- FET Certificate Accounting Technician: Public Sector – SAQA ID 77143
- Certificate: Accounting: Public Sector – SAQA ID 80189
- Certificate Local Government Accounting – SAQA ID 59751
- FET Certificate: Local Government Accounting – SAQA ID 73712
Click on the qualification names below for more information:
Accounting Qualifications (AQ):
- Certificate: Accounting Technician NQF Level 3
- FET Certificate: Accounting Technician NQF Level 4
- Certificate: Accounting NQF Level 5
Accounting Qualifications – Public Sector (PS):
Why study the AT(SA) qualifications?
AT (SA) provides opportunities for you to access a career in accounting. Accounting Technicians play a vita role in accounting, finance and business, to improve the structural productivity and efficiency across all sectors of the economy. Once registered as an AT(SA) member, you will belong to a professional accountancy body who will provide continuous support and who will assist in developing and maintaining your competence. As an AT(SA) member, you will also have access to a range of membership benefits such as:
- Professional designation, which members can use to signal their competence to industry.
- Technical advice on tax, accounting, auditing, financial services and legal advisory.
- Events and networking opportunities; seminars and workshops to enhance the member’s professional competence and keep them abreast of the latest developments in business, finance and accounting, providing transformation, growth across their career.
- Relevant and current skills; as member of AT(SA), the rigorous training, experience and continuing development, keeps a member apace with the skills needed in the ever-changing business environment.
- As a regulated member body, AT(SA) members are bound by a code of professional conduct. This ensures that they maintain the quality of their designations, uphold high standards of reputation, professional excellence and integrity in everything they do. Reputation and credibility in the workplace AT(SA) designations enjoy continued public confidence. This means that employers, clients and the public can be assured of a member’s skills, expertise and overall professional conduct.
How does it work when you register for an AT(SA) course with Credo Business College?
- You will receive your study material via courier once you have sent in your registration forms and proof of payment.
- You will become a student member of AT(SA) (for the year in which you register for your studies).
- You will have access to academic support from qualified tutors via email and via the online portal.
- Depending on which training option you’ve chosen, you will complete your course via either distance or blended learning.
- Once you have completed all your coursework, you will be able to take the final assessments. If found competent, you will receive your certificate from SAICA and FASSET.
The following learner administration and learner support services are included on all 3 modes of training options when a learner enrols on any qualification:
- Learners will be allocated a dedicated tutor to support and guide them;
- Support study groups and other learner support methods will be implemented;
- Proactive contact, learner progress monitoring and support: Helping learners to monitor their own progress on a course and take appropriate action through advice and prompts at critical stages in their study;
- Credo provides regular reports on proactive critical indicators;
- Specialist services to learners (e.g. disabled, learners with special needs) – via adapting to the learner disability capabilities and needs;
- Administration of the assessment process;
- All aspects of learner record keeping;
- Address learners’ complaints and appeals;
- Certification administration in conjunction with AT(SA);
- AT(SA) registration and membership fee for one (1) year;
- Textbook for each module;
- Compulsory assignments;
- Practice assessments;
- Contact classes per module – depending of mode of study;
- Study programme that provide structure to the learner;
- Access to a dedicated facilitator;
- One formal assessment opportunity;
- A certificate on successful completion of the programme.
How long will it take to complete the AT(SA) qualifications?
The average learner takes on average 12 to 18 months to complete a qualification with an average completion time per module at 2 to 3 months. The duration will depend on which qualification level the learner enrols on.
Duration per qualification is listed below:
- 10 to 12 months Certificate: Accounting Technician – SAQA ID 73710
- 14 to 16 months FET Certificate: Accounting Technician – SAQA ID 77143
- 18 to 24 months Certificate: Accounting – SAQA ID 80189
- 10 to 12 months Certificate Accounting Technician: Public Sector – SAQA ID 73710
- 14 to 16 months FET Certificate Accounting Technician: Public Sector – SAQA ID 77143
- 18 to 24 months Certificate: Accounting: Public Sector – SAQA ID 80189
- 10 to 12 months Certificate Local Government Accounting – SAQA ID 59751
- 14 to 16 months FET Certificate: Local Government Accounting – SAQA ID 73712
Will an AT(SA) qualification help you to find a job?
Credo’s vision is to lead the way in training business professionals through relevant business qualifications working towards professional body membership. The purpose of our training is to ensure employees are adequately equipped to meet the requirements of their current positions and grow professionally. Credo’s intention is to develop skilled, competent and confident employees.
The most frequently asked question is: ‘Will an AT(SA) qualification help you find employment and the value of the qualification?’ – while no qualification can ever guarantee you employment, holders of the AT(SA) Accounting qualifications are known to be highly sought after by employers, largely due to the technical knowledge and practical skills that they acquire through their training.